According to OpenVault, average cable broadband usage per household in Europe grew at a rate of 19.5% during the 12 months ended June 30, 2018, compared to an average of 31% in the United States during the same time period. Moreover, Europe’s .46% percentage of Power Users – households using greater than 1TB per month – is less than one-fifth of the 2.5% percentage of Power Users in the United States.
Globally, OpenVault finds that household broadband usage growth continues to grow at an annual rate of more than 30%, but Usage Based Billing can enable cable telecommunications providers to reduce associated strain on their networks and generate incremental revenues. OpenVault notes that average usage per household as of June 30, 2018 was 226.4GB, up slightly from Q1 2018. When compared with results from June 30, 2017, OpenVault data showed:
- Year over year average usage growth of 31.3%, from 172.4GB/HH to 226.4GB/HH;
- Year over year median usage growth of 37.4%, from 88GB/HH to more than 116.4GB/HH; and
- Year over year growth in Power Users (i.e. HH using >1TB) of more than 100%, from 1.2% of HHs to 2.5%.
In addition, OpenVault’s analysis has identified usage-based billing as a factor in curbing usage growth and strain on networks, opening the door to significant operator revenue growth while potentially enabling avoidance of capex required to keep up with demand. By comparing operators offering usage-based billing (UBB) with those that offer flat-rate (Non-UBB) pricing, OpenVault found that:
- 12.2% higher average usage per HH for Non-UBB operators (241.9GB/HH) in June 2018, versus 215.6GB for UBB operators;
- 34% greater year-over-year usage growth by Non-UBB customers (36.6%), versus 27.3% for UBB customers, for the 12 months ended June 30, 2018; and
- 55% greater Power User usage exceeding 1TB by Non-UBB customers (3.1%), versus 2.0% for UBB customers.
OpenVault’s solution suite tracks broadband data usage consumption levels for millions of subscribers and helps operators across the globe better manage their networks, saving time and costs while increasing revenue and subscriber satisfaction. Network operators use OpenVault’s easy-to-use tools to dramatically improve visibility into their networks and automate management functions to proactively handle congestion, forecast network requirements, monetize broadband growth and communicate with subscribers. For more information, please visit openvault.com.
For media inquiries, please contact:
Kristen Nihamin at firstname.lastname@example.org or 917-509-9028
Paul Schneider at email@example.com or 215-817-4384